HTA publishes Guide to Consent and Organ Donation as part of National Transplant Week
As part of National Transplant Week, the Human Tissue Authority (HTA) – regulator for human tissue and organs – has published a guide to consent and organ donation, which has been developed in collaboration with NHS Blood and Transplant. The guide is for those who have registered or who are considering registering their decision to donate on the NHS Organ Donor Register.
The guide explains how decisions about organ donation, recorded on the Organ Donor Register, are managed under the law. It highlights what the law says about giving consent, and outlines the importance of sharing decisions about being a donor with family and close friends.
Jessica Porter, HTA’s Living Donation Manager said: “The decision to donate your organs is an important one, which could help those in need of a transplant. During Transplant Week many people will be considering organ donation. We have developed this information to help support them in making a decision and encourage discussions about their decision with their family and friends”.
Anthony Clarkson, NHS Blood and Transplant’s Assistant Director for Organ Donation and Nursing said: “To save and improve more lives we need more donors. Sharing your donation decision is vital as evidence proves families are much less likely to agree to donation where they do not know their loved one’s donation wishes, we need to get to the point where organ donation is high on the list of important personal conversations we routinely have with loved ones.
“We hope that the new materials launched by the Human Tissue Authority will help us to encourage more people to make the decision to be an organ donor and to tell their family or a close friend that they have done so.”
Download the guide here.
- · The Human Tissue Act 2004 is the law which governs consent for organ donation in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- · The Human Tissue Authority was set up under the Human Tissue Act to regulate the use of human tissue and organs in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The interests of the public and those we regulate are central to our work and our aim is to ensure the safe and ethical use of human tissue and organs, with proper consent.
- · From the 1 December 2015, the law in Wales will change. For more information seewww.organdonationwales.org.
- · This year’s National Transplant Week, organised by NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT), runs from 7 to 13 September. More information can be found here.
- · The Human Tissue (Scotland) Act 2006 is the law that applies in Scotland.